The Online Scientific Program is now available to search accepted sessions and presentations for the 2016 Ocean Sciences Meeting. Letters of notification on the abstract status with instructions on how to accept or decline invitations to present will also be sent by 23 November to the presenting author listed on the abstract.
Monday – Friday
4:00 P.M.–6:00 P.M.
Poster Session Presenter Guidelines
Poster sessions are located in the Exhibit Hall, First Level, New Orleans Moriel Convention Center, Monday – Friday, 4:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M. Friday’s poster session will include closing refreshments.
To locate your assigned poster board, look for the section (e.g., PO – Physical Oceanography), then search within the section for the board marked with your paper number.
For example, if your paper number is PO24A-0008, your poster board is 0008, and you are presenting on Tuesday evening, 23 February, at 1600h (Monday – 1, Tuesday – 2, Wednesday – 3, Thursday – 4, Friday – 5). Another example given the above logic is if your paper number is PO44A-1852, your poster board number would be 1852 and you would be presenting on Thursday.
Please review the checklist below to ensure that you have not missed any important information preparing your poster presentation for the 2016 Ocean Sciences Meeting.
- Prepare Your Poster
- Place an Order to Print your Poster (optional)
- Set Up Your Poster/Give Your Presentation (Put up Monday Morning)
- Remove Your Poster (Take down Friday Evening)
- Poster Help Desk Desk
Prepare Your Poster
NOTE: The size of posters should be not more than 45″ x 45″ (3.75 feet by 3.75 feet) to allow two (2) presenters to utilize one side of the posterboard. Size requirements must be strictly adhered to so posters fit within the space as assigned. If your poster exceeds these specifications, it may be subject to removal.
- The presentation must cover the material as cited in the abstract.
- Place the title of your paper and your paper number prominently at the top of the poster board to allow viewers to identify your paper. Indicate 1) the abstract’s presentation number, 2) title, and 3) authors’ names.
- Highlight the authors’ names, e-mails, and address information in case the viewer is interested in contacting you for more information.
- Prepare all diagrams or charts neatly and legibly beforehand in a size sufficient to be read at a distance of 2 meters. Paragraph and figure caption text should be AT LEAST 24-point font (0.9 cm height) and headers AT LEAST 36 point font (1.2 cm height). Use creativity by using different font sizes and styles, perhaps even color.
- Use different colors and textures/symbols for each line or bar contained in your graph or chart. A serif font (e.g., Times) is often easier for reading main text, and a non-serif font (e.g., Arial or Helvetica) for headers and figure labels.
- Organize the paper on the poster board so it is clear, orderly, and self-explanatory. You have complete freedom in displaying your information in figures, tables, text, photographs, etc.
- Use squares, rectangles, circles, etc., to group similar ideas. Avoid cluttering your poster with too much text. Label different elements as I, II, III; or 1, 2, 3; or A, B, C, making it easier for a viewer to follow your display.
- Include the background of your research followed by results and conclusions. A successful poster presentation depends on how well you convey information to an interested audience.
Poster Printing Service
The Preferred Poster Printer for this meeting, Lucas Exhibits + Graphics, Inc., is local to New Orleans and will have all pre-ordered posters available for pick-up near the registration area on Monday, 22 February, from 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Depending on the amount of orders placed, there might also be select hours for the remaining of the week. More details regarding those possible hours will be posted the week of 15 February.
Order your poster by 15 February to receive the discounted rate. Orders placed after 15 February will have a rush order fee. Please visit the site below for further instructions.
*Acceptable file formats for this printer are pdf, psd, eps, tif.
Audiovisual and Equipment Needs
Audio/Visual equipment is not provided for poster sessions. Wireless Internet access, via the 802.11B (Wi-Fi) standard, is available in some areas of the poster session hall. Your laptop must be equipped with a Wi-Fi or 802.11B wireless network card for PCs or an Airport card for Macs. Power will not be available for your poster area unless specifically ordered.
You may order additional equipment for your poster area such as a table or power access at an additional cost before the meeting. Please email email@example.com if you have such a request.
Set Up Your Poster/Give Your Presentation
To locate your assigned poster board, look for the sign marked with your session number in the center aisles of the poster area. Each poster board will be marked with an individual paper number.
Poster sessions are active for a 2-hour period, 1600h-1800h, on the day that the session is scheduled in the Poster Hall, at the Morial Convention Center; sessions are active each evening INCLUDING Friday. It is suggested that all posters be on display by Monday morning, 0800h and remain on display for the full week in order to allow full visibility by attendees.
NOTE: Presenters must be available for at least 1 hour between 1600h and 1800h. To ease traffic in the poster aisles it is recommended that for Monday- Thursday Poster Sessions, authors with abstract numbers ending in odd poster numbers (-0001, -0003) present from 4:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M. and authors with even poster numbers (-0002, -0004) are to present from 5:00 P.M.– 6:00 P.M. Please know this is not required and you may present your poster for the entire poster session are you assigned.
- Posters should be set up as early as Monday, 22 February, at 7:30 A.M., if possible.
- Posters must remain up the entire week, if possible.
- Please make sure your paper number is clearly visible on your poster board.
- Signs indicating when you will be at your presentation can be picked up at the Poster Help Desk. After the session, please leave a note on your poster board as to where you can be reached in case someone wishes to discuss your research further.
- Materials (i.e., push pins) are available at the Poster Help Desk. If you have any special supplies you need, please remember to bring this on your own as only push pins will be provided at the Poster Help Desk.
Remove Your Poster
Note: Posters must be removed by 6:00 P.M. on Friday, 26 February. Posters remaining after this time will be recycled.
Poster Help Desk
The Poster Help Desk is located directly outside of the Poster Hall. Staff will be available to assist you with the location of your poster and other on-site needs.
Push pins, tape, and scissors will be available for your use. Additional supplies will not be available. If you have special needs for your poster presentation, bring those supplies with you to the meeting.
If you have questions, please contact the AGU Meetings Department by e-mail.